Monday, November 29, 2010

An Eventful Thanksgiving Weekend

One thing I have learned is that God is good all the time, even in the trials. The day after Thanksgiving in Indianapolis, there is a huge celebration downtown with about 100,000 people around the circle. Josiah and I joined forces with some others in an effort to share the gospel with people in this crowd. We were doing this primarily though the use of a gospel tract specially designed for the occasion.

I am not sure how many tracts were passed out in total, but Josiah and I passed out a few thousand. We had a great time. We got down town around 4:30 PM. We parked as close as we could hope to at a metered spot reserved for handicapped credentialed vehicles. Of course I have a handicapped license tag. After 6:00 PM the meters are free. I put in enough money to take me well beyond 6:00 PM and we went on and spent the evening spreading the good news of Jesus Christ.

When we got back to our spot, there was another car there. We discovered that the local police department ordered our van and other vehicles to be towed. After paying an impound fee of $105 we were told we would find a citation on our windshield and then we would know why our vehicle was towed. When we got the lot, we discovered that there was no ticket. As of today, nobody has been able to find out why our van was towed. All that seems like bad news. Now let me give you some lessons learned.

While I was trying to find out what had happened to the van, Josiah continue to pass out tracts and talk to people about Jesus. I was very frustrated not knowing how we would pay for the impound or even how much it would be. It ended up being much less than I imagined it would be. Over the course of paying the impound fee and waiting in line for fifteen minutes (with nobody in front of me)I had the opportunity to share the gospel with a guy behind me in line. I was able to give a gospel tract to the lady at the city auto desk and at the impound lot.

It may be that one of those people needed that word from God and God needed to teach me a little more to trust in Him to supply form my needs. He was able to knock out both at the same time.

Some money has come in since the weekend. I got an early Christmas present, and I also got some money for helping a friend sell some tickets to the Colts game. Another friend gave me some cash. There are still financial needs, but I know God is in control and I do not need to worry about them.

God has been faithful to meet our needs through the faithful giving of believers that are burdened for our ministry. I must admit that over the weekend, due to the van situation and some other pressing financial needs, I allowed myself to get wrapped up in worry. As a result, I acted in the flesh. It was really cool to see my son, who also knew that things were tough, just keep trusting that God would handle things and keep on doing what God had called us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment